24 Aug Always Be Learning: Writing Coach Becca Puglisi Shares Tips for Aspiring Writers (Podcast #18)
Episode #18 – Always Be Learning: Author & Writing Coach Becca Puglisi Shares Tips for Aspiring Writers
By Marleen Seegers, Co-Founder of 2 Seas Agency and Host of The Make Books Travel Podcast
August 24, 2020
On this episode I’m speaking with Becca Puglisi.
Becca is an international speaker, writing coach, and bestselling author of The Emotion Thesaurus and other books for writers.
Not only does Becca help make books travel in the US and other English speaking countries, she does so in other languages too. In fact 2 Seas Agency represents translation rights in her books, which we have sold into numerous countries.
Among many other things, we discuss how she became a writing coach, the impact the Covid-19 pandemic has had on her activities, and the success of her books specifically in Japan and elsewhere in Asia. She also shares her #1 tip for aspiring authors.
Here are a few questions I asked Becca:
- Can you tell us a bit more about your blog Writers Helping Writers?
- What has the impact of the pandemic been on your activities so far?
- What was the biggest challenge you and your business and writing partner Angela Ackerman faced when you launched your creative writing business?
- What is the ONE piece of advice you have for aspiring authors?
- Do you follow the writing careers of those you’ve coached?
- Why do you think that your creative writing books are so popular in Asia, and in Japan specifically?
- Becca’s book recommendations:
– Mary Pipher, PhD, Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls (Riverhead Trade, 2005)
– Rosalind Wiseman, Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and the New Realities of Girl World (Harmony, 2009)
– Dr James Dobson, Preparing for Adolescence: How To Survive The Coming Years Of Change (Gospel Light, revised edition, 2005)
– Mike Michalowicz, Clockwork: Design Your Business to Run Itself (Portfolio, 2018)
- About Becca:
Becca Puglisi is an international speaker, writing coach, and bestselling author of The Emotion Thesaurus and other books for writers—including her latest: The Occupation Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Jobs, Vocations, and Careers. Her books have sold over 500,000 copies and are available in multiple languages, are sourced by US universities, and are used by novelists, screenwriters, editors, and psychologists around the world. She is passionate about learning and sharing her knowledge with others through her Writers Helping Writers blog and via One Stop For Writers—a powerhouse online library created to help writers elevate their storytelling.
Thank you for listening, and enjoy!
PS: If you are a publishing professional and are interested in participating in a new podcast episode, let us know!
PPS: Listen to The Make Books Travel podcast on the following channels — and leave a positive review if you enjoy what you hear:
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.