28 Jun Think Outside the Book with Quebec Publisher Antoine Tanguay (Podcast #12)
Episode #12 – “Think Outside the Book”: an Interview with Quebec Publisher Antoine Tanguay
By Marleen Seegers, Co-Founder of 2 Seas Agency and Host of The Make Books Travel Podcast
June 28, 2020
On episode 12 of the Make Books Travel podcast I’m talking to Antoine Tanguay, who founded the Quebec publishing house Editions Alto in 2005.
When I asked Antoine if there were any specific topics he wanted to discuss on the podcast, he mentioned that for the past few years he’d been focusing quite a bit on publishing innovations, on new ways to spread writing and people’s stories.
During the interview it turned out that he is indeed full of ideas to try out different ways of telling stories and isn’t afraid of unusual, out-of-the-box ideas.
To put it in his own words, he “thinks outside the book.”
It was fascinating to hear about some of his ideas on this podcast episode. I truly enjoyed our chat!
Here are some of the questions I asked Antoine:
- Can you tell us a bit about the current situation in Canada, and in the province of Quebec in particular, in terms of any lockdowns and/or other restrictions due to the Covid-19 pandemic?
- Has the pandemic impacted the publishing industry in Quebec as much as it has your colleagues in France, where it was virtually impossible to buy a book while the country was in total lockdown?
- What were your motivations to start your own publishing company?
- What is it like to be an independent publisher in Quebec today, besides having to face any additional challenges brought on by Covid-19?
- Can you tell us a bit more about any projects which put your focus on publishing innovations into practice?
PS: If you are a publishing professional and are interested in participating in a new podcast episode, let us know!
PPS: Listen to The Make Books Travel podcast on the following channels — and leave a positive review if you enjoy what you hear: