05 Jul Prashant Pathak on Weathering the Pandemic in India and Publishers Without Borders (S2 E17)
S2 E17: Prashant Pathak on Weathering the Pandemic in India and Publishers Without Borders
By Marleen Seegers, Co-Founder of 2 Seas Agency and Host of The Make Books Travel Podcast
July 5, 2021
Welcome to a new episode of the Make Books Travel podcast!
Today I’m excited to speak with Prashant Pathak, who joins us from just outside of New Delhi in India.
Prashant gives us insights into the current situation of the Indian publishing market and explains how the publishing house he started 4 years ago, Wonder House Books, has weathered the challenges brought on by the pandemic.
He also discusses how the Facebook Group Publishers Without Borders got started, right at the beginning of the lockdowns related to the pandemic, where the group is at now, and what their plans are for when we can all meet each other again at book fairs (hint: it involves some cold beverages!).
Here are some of the questions I asked Prashant:
- What motivated you to start Wonder House Books?
- Besides English, do you also publish in any of India’s many other languages?
- What is the situation in India currently in light of the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What was the state of the Indian (children’s) publishing market before the pandemic started, and how was it impacted throughout the pandemic?
- What has the impact of the pandemic been on Wonder House Books specifically?
- How did Publishers Without Borders start? Who else was involved?
- How many members does the Facebook group have now?
- What are your plans for the group going forward, as we’ll be able to travel again to book fairs hopefully sooner rather than later?
- Prashant’s book recommendations:
– Captain Underpants. The Big Bad Battle of Bionic Booger Boy by Jeff Kinney
– The Book with No Pictures by BJ Novak
– Richard Scarry’s Best Treasury Ever
– Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, audiobook narrated by Stephen Fry
- About Prashant:
Prashant started as an online gaming support executive and transitioned his career into publishing by working with various publishing services companies.
In 2017, he joined Prakash Books to set up a new imprint for children, Wonder House Books, where as a publisher he creates engaging content and attractive designs.
His strong-suits have given the organization grounds to bloom significantly.
He lives in New Delhi and is a father of 2 boys — a 6 year old Human Male and an 8 year old yellow Labrador.