Check 2 Seas Agency’s translation grants listing!
We all know that publishing a book in translation can be a costly business that does not come without any risks. The translation costs are actually often a deterrent or a reason not to translate a book. That is why it is good to know you can obtain financial support.
Indeed, to help spur more translations, government-sponsored cultural agencies in Europe and elsewhere subsidize (or fully cover) the cost of translating books. That can be a big help: even though no guarantee is given, knowing that you can apply for a grant often gives you that last little push in the right direction. ‘
Information on such grants is not always easily accessible though. That is why 2 Seas Agency has listed a list of available international translation grants below.
Please note that this is not a complete list—feel free to contact us if you have additional information or any other useful feedback.
Furthermore, it is important to note that none of the institutions seem to grant financial aid for translations of books in the “mind-body-spirit” and similar categories, nor to translation projects of authors who have self-published their books. In addition, applications for such grants should be submitted before the publication of the translated books.
- EU LANGUAGES (from one EU language to another)
- DUTCH (Flanders)
- DUTCH (Netherlands)
- ENGLISH (Canada)
- ENGLISH (Ireland, also for the Irish language)
- FRENCH (Belgium)
- FRENCH (Canada)
- FRENCH (France)
1) You can apply for a translation grant with the Centre national du livre, click here for more information.
2) The French Institute (Institut français) in your country is very likely to have a program that supports publications of translations from the French, often in collaboration with the Book Office (Bureau du Livre) of the local French Embassy.
For example, the French Embassy provides grants for translations into English (Canada, USA and Great Britain):
- United States: http://www.frenchbooknews.com/grantsamericanpublishers.php
- UK: http://www.frenchbooknews.com/grantsbritishpublishers.php
- Canada: http://www.frenchbooknews.com/grantscanadianpublishers.php
- GERMAN (Germany)
1) The Goethe-Institut. Click here for more information on their translation grant programme.
2) For books in the humanities and social sciences specifically: the Geisteswissenschaften International program of the The German Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels.
PS: Sign up for our monthly newsletter which will keep you informed about international publishing news and highlights in our catalog!